Project 1 – Stage 4

Stage 4 was based on work from my sketchbook. I chose 3 pieces that were rich in texture to work from:


photo (23)

The first was the picture of slate being held over a ballast background. I like the interplay between the sharp vertical lines of the slate against the rough texture of the ballast stones behind. The first textural study I did was using wax rubbings and ink. I used a slate tile and some brickwork for the textures then painted and sponged over with ink to add colour. I feel it was quite successful but would have preferred to find a more rounded bumpy surface for the background.

photo (22)

The second version was achieved using oil pastel with a ink wash. I attempted to show the striations in the slate with the oil pastel lines. I don’t think this worked as well as the first as the lines became too heavy and overpowering.

photo (21)

For the third I printed the texture using scrunched up paper and plastic bags and pleated paper as printing blocks. I really liked this process and feel it created a really unusual result.


photo (20)

The second source picture was the trees in snow sketch from my sketchbook. I started with a collage of newspaper and watercolour which I feel worked really nicely, I used the print to suggest the markings on the trees.

photo (19)

For the second version I again used the wax rubbing technique, this time using a stack of pencils held together with a rubber band as the texture. I alternated the direction to show the horizontal and vertical marks. I then used white acrylic paint for the snow.

photo (18)


My favourite was version three for this I used sponged and printed acrylic paints and ink. the thinner lines were once again printed using pleated paper.


The third source I used was the textural sketch of some North Cornish Rocks, This is a subject I revisit regularly, I just love them. (I am off to North Cornwall in a few weeks so will no doubt be adding more studies to my sketch book then). This section got quite messy.

photo (17)

This study used acrylic paint applied using scrunched up plastic bags, paper and bubblewrap. It was then washed over with ink. The bubble wrap works really well.

photo (16)

I then did a collage using scrunched up newspaper some of which was then flattened out and applied, and bubble wrap. The whole thing was then sponged over with inks and acrylic paint. The effect I thought, was quite exciting.

photo (15)

The last version of this was first sketched out with wax crayon then sponged and printed with acrylic paint and ink.

I really enjoyed this stage of the course as I felt I was able to express myself more freely than before and my confidence grew throughout, leaving me quite pleased with the outcome.



About Julie Hooker

Having recently returned to my roots in Surrey, I am currently studying a BA Hons degree with the OCA. My work is often inspired by the local countryside in the beautiful Surrey Hills area and the wild rugged nature of the North Cornish coast. Steam engines and abandoned industrial history are also recent themes. A free machine embroiderer and felt maker; I like to explore the use of natural, found materials to create my art, whether that be as raw materials to stitch or weave with or as a material with which to produce dye or print with. Previously, I completed City and Guilds parts 1 & 2 Creative Embroidery at the East Berkshire College in Windsor in 2007. I was also awarded first place in the wearable art section of the National Quilt Championships 2008 and 2009 held annually at Sandown Park.
This entry was posted in ACA and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s