Exercise 3 & 4 were great fun, again I encountered problems with mixing the yellow and I discovered how much difference there is between what I see, a photograph on the screen of a camera and what prints out!
For exercise 3, I had a look through my resource photos and found a very unusual shot I took of a galloping fairground horse. I concentrated on a small area of the picture and I was looking at only the colours and tried to merely hint at the shapes with my brushstrokes, what emerged was a jumbled yet strangely pleasing arrangement of squiggles that still kept the sense of movement and excitement of the fairground ride.
Exercise 4 was where I learnt a few lessons! I had arranged my items (a few brightly coloured pom poms and a small orange monkey) on a bright yellow background. I could easily see the colours reflecting against each other in their shadows which was very interesting. I again concentrated on brush marks of colour rather than trying to draw the composition exactly and I was really pleased with the result. I even managed to get the yellow almost exact!
I decided to photograph the arrangement of objects to put along side the painting. It looked okay through the camera but when printed out the colours looked completely different. As I am writing this I notice that you cannot really see it on the computer screen (well not on mine anyway!) – just something to remember for the future.