Project 4 – Developing design ideas – Stage 1 & 2 – Looking for shapes and drawing
Taken from photo montage in sketchbook, I chose to focus on my work on fairground art especially the artwork on galloping horses. I love the vibrant shapes within fair ground art, there is just so much variation yet everything interlocks to create an exciting and stunning design.
Exercise 2 – I love the whirling feel to this drawing which I developed from some of the drawings from exercise 1. It reminds me of evenings spent on the galloping horses at the fairground.
I wanted to emphasize the shapes and colours whirling around in fragments as the ride does in motion. Also the dream like quality is like my memories of a childhood spent around fairgrounds. A very personal response.
Project 4 – Stage 2 – exercise 3
For exercise 3, I developed 3 drawings based on the drawing above.
The first in watercolour paint; this produced a much more subtle design, softer and more peaceful in nature. The second was in coloured pencil. I really liked the colours produced by layering up the pencil marks, The third I chose to work in collage using sweet wrappers, tissue paper and thread. This was very effective and added new life to the drawing.
Project 4 – Stage 2 – Exercise 4 – Drawing from real objects
A collection of sewing related items seemed quite apt for this exercise! The first drawing concentrates on the texture of the items, the second on the colours and the third the shapes and placement. I was really pleased with the 3rd drawing, it showed a lot of scope for development. Even if it’s not apparent straight away!
I used the same image for exercise 4, I used coloured pencils again – they are fast becoming my favourite medium! I then tried the design in watercolour. The watercolour was not so successful. I feel The colours and line just aren’t strong enough.
Stage 4- Developing design ideas
I used several approaches for Stage 4, I started with digital manipulation of designs using a drawing program on the computer. Sections were cropped, mirrored, rotated and repeated to create patterns from an original design source.
I then tried using different mediums and added lines which could eventually suggest stitching etc. this created some great new ideas to take further. I also tried crayon scratch techniques to explore the ‘trees’ source from project 1.
Project 4 – Stage 2 – Experimenting with techniques
I really like the naturalistic effect of these trials – they remind me of tribal art. The prints using monochromatic seems to work really well. Could be ideal for woven / knitted textiles. I might mark this design out as a punch card and get my mother to knit weave it on the knitting machine.
These prints have a very modern feel. Created using a Formy block with items pressed into it. I particularly like the arrangement of the items in the top print. It works particularly well with brush marks showing within the print. The bottom print looks a little too random and doesn’t flow across the page at all.
Below: Various prints using motifs taken from the Gallopers manipulations above. The print blocks were made from ‘funky foam’ on board backing. I also tried making some blocks from polystyrene blocks which were quite effective.
This view of Boscastle in cornwall was sponged through a series of stencils
This may work well as a larger sample with some texture medium in the paint on the rocks. The sky area might work well using salt techniques on silk paints.
Lastly I tried mono printing with leaves and scratching into the paint to create backgrounds. This I really enjoyed and will do more of in the future.
I did so many experiments but I could carry on forever! I had to draw a line in the end and stop myself or I would never get this section finished! All in all I feel I produced some great ideas to carry forward.
Things still to try:
- Lino Printing
- Sun Dyeing
- Gelatin printing
- Screen printing