The first few exercises of project 3 were about colour perception; how colours behave when placed next to each other and combined to create effects. Whilst I did find the exercises a bit laborious and not too successful, I did find them interesting. I will certainly bear it all in mind in the future as I think the exercises will certainly help when it comes to future projects and made me think a lot more closely at how I see colour in the world around me.
Mixing colours was great fun if a little frustrating! It was just so difficult to match colours with a limited amount of pigments to start with. The main problems I had were mixing yellows and really nice purples. Through reading up on the subject; I believe that purples (particularly violets) are particularly hard to mix; this could be overcome by investing in some more colours of paints to achieve the colours I am looking for.
It was very interesting doing the exercises looking at shadows created by objects. I had always thought of shadows as Grey or black. Looking really hard at objects certainly helped me to see that the shadows cast by brightly coloured objects in fact had colour in them too. This will certainly help with my future textile design work.
I felt the stitched exercises I did were successful to varying degrees; the hand exercises were perhaps slightly less successful than the machine. I found it much harder to get the colours to blend using hand techniques than I did using the machine techniques. I perhaps chose the wrong combinations or perhaps the stitching was too bold. I did manage a degree of colour blending but I think if I were to do the exercises again, I would change the colours slightly. A lighter blue may have merged more successfully with the yellow than the darker blue I used.
I was very pleased with the outcome of project 4. My drawings, although very different, all worked really well as a source for further development. My design developments were also very successful as a way to lead to other designs and I felt I produced a good set of samples to work from to develop a larger sample for project 5.
I liked both my larger samples for different reasons. The button design was very different from anything I have designed previously which was unexpected but pleasing. The design was developed from a smaller sample and there is a clear visible development between the two. The repeating design flowed well across the surface with some internal marks but not edges.
The gallopers design also was clearly developed from an earlier design. It was much more striking than the button design as it was bolder in design and colour. Again the pattern flowed across the surface well with the positive motifs creating very strong negative shapes yet being well balanced and harmonious at the same time.