Unfortunately, I found the instructions in this section of the course very unclear and badly written. In one place the instructions were in the wrong order, jumping from section to section. This made it difficult to follow. I hope this part is re-written as part of the course re-write to make it easier to follow!
Colour matching paint to the source material then matching yarn to the paint seemed a bit of a waste of time really. I felt that matching yarns directly to the source was far more effective. That may well be just the way I work best. I am sure others would disagree! I felt that both were quite successful although I didn’t have enough colours of yarn to make a full colour match, I definitely had enough for a colour scheme.
It took me an age to gather all the materials required. Not being a knitter / crocheter / weaver I don’t have much in the way of wool etc. so had to go and buy it. It is very hard to find a wool shop around here, sadly they have all closed down. So I rummaged around the charity shops for most of it. I did take a trip over to George Weil in Peasmarsh for warp thread and other more specialist yarns. So in the end I managed to collect together quite a wide range. (See below)
I really enjoyed inventing constructed surfaces especially the cords, plaits and braids and the more experimental ‘woven’ structures I created in stage 2. the more I did the free-er they got. I particularly like the natural structure made from sticks, wire,yarn and silk sari yarn. I feel that this was the most successful overall.