My original source for the final print for assignment 2. I love the harsh structure against the cheery orange and yellow background.
After a rethink of the way to create my stencil to create the sharp image I wanted I came back to using sticky backed plastic. Due to the complexity of the motif I used it to create a resist over which I spread the blocking agent. The sticky backed plastic was then removed leaving the positive shape to print. This worked brilliantly and saved an awful lot of cutting and sticking small ‘islands’ onto the screen!
The sticky-backed plastic resist ready to apply to the screen
Applying the blocking agent
The printed image with vilene stencilled background using 3 colours to emulate a sunset sky.
My final design board for assignment 2
Overall I am really pleased with my final design and the panel itself. I feel it relates strongly to the original source and development work. I feel the design decisions which led to my final piece resulted in a striking and very individual design. The piece heavily hints at the structures of pylons striding strongly across the ‘natural environment’ showing just how much the manmade and natural environment overlap. It also has a very urban feel and reminds me strongly of graffiti, particularly ‘tags’ regularly seen on walls in our urban ‘manmade environment’. Therefore fitting the original theme very well.
I found this assignmet quite challenging. For a start I had never tried screen printing before and found it very difficult to achieve the look I wanted. I am not sure that I would choose to use this technique again in the future but it has been an interesting exercise!