For this stage I pinned up all my samples and lived with them for a couple of days thinking what they reminded me of, if anything and how they related to each other and the qualities I liked or disliked in them.
I love the knitted plastic sample that I did and really like the textural and translucent properties of it but I cannot see how to develop it further at the moment, I will keep it and hope that it comes in useful in the future. I may even mount it as a finished sample as it is really interesting in a number of ways.
Other samples are shouting out related visual sources to me so I am concentrating on those:
The first are the stitched nets, I took some photographs on a recent visit to St Ives of fishing tackle on the quay side. This included pots and nets. The blue colours in the stitched nets reminded me of this. Putting them together confirmed that this would be a great starting point for some further samples perhaps looking through the nets to see what is revealed within / behind them.
The second most obvious sample was the bonded & stitched Angelina sample. It really reminds me of some wet rocks I saw, again in Cornwall a few years ago. The rocks are covered in barnacles algae and lichen yet the rocks are still to be seen beneath the layers.
The last group is the laminated samples I produced. The trapped objects and the cellophane wrappers and threads remind me of an article I read recently about feathers, bugs and seeds trapped in Amber before the resin sets. Not so obvious in the raw amber but when it is polished and held to the light they are revealed like a mini glimpse into the past. I have decided to take a further look at this idea as well.