My tutor, as well as suggesting that I do some more research to strengthen my final project also suggested that I use the new research to investigate some more design ideas.
It is not my aim to complete a textile piece as such as I have already designed and made the bag for this assignment. My tutor suggested that I need not make the bag again but rather complete some more design work and develop it into a set of samples.
I really enjoyed the interlocking shapes and colours in this piece and it reminded me of some of the pylon inspired work I did for part 2; especially this piece that was inspired by a picture looking up through the centre of a pylon to the top:
I decided to take another look at this piece and start with the basic lines, removing anything that cluttered the image. I chose the background colour from colours I used in project 2, however I don’t intend to carry these through to this project:
Instead of using pattern as in the original work from my sketchbook, I decided to try colour to fill the negative spaces between the lines. This created a very vibrant look, similar to Delauay’s but producing interlocking triangles rather than circles:
Next I tried a more subdued palette of black, greys and natural colours. I also drew the shape far more loosely and removed some of the lines this created a very modernist piece:
To add interest I also removed some sections and tried layering it up with the previous piece. Bingo! I love the way the brighter colours almost look as though they are trying to escape from the subdued overlay, shattering it as they escape.
I am now happy this this particular piece of artwork and feel It could easily be translated into a textile piece if I wanted to. It is not my plan to carry on with this particular design at the moment but I may well come back to it in the future as I feel it is very strong and it would be good explore it further when I have more time.
My next step was to move on to looking at Ben Nicholson’s work. I played around for a while with landscapes combined with some of my more basic pylon motifs; exploring various arrangements of pylons striding across the landscape ruining it or adding to it depending on your opinion.
To be quite honest I really was not inspired by this. Although an interesting idea, I am no Nicholson and could not translate the idea in my head into something on paper!
A little frustrated I decided to look more clisely at some of his still life drawings and sketches instead:
I practiced some blind continuous line drawing exercises to start with and set up a small arrangement of a jug and cups. I wanted the shapes to overlap. These were quite successful and I then began looking at his muted colours and the way he created texture by scratching his work. I decided to try using chalk and oil pastels to try and replicate the texture. I worked quickly and loosely as my tutor suggested and I was very pleased with the results:
I surprised myself as I really enjoy the simplicity of these sketches. I usually over complicate things so if I was to use them and take them further to my satisfaction, I needed to try really hard to keep them simplistic. I decided to make a small collagraph printing block from card and string inspired by these drawings and trialled some small prints.
First on paper then on fabric to work into textile samples.
I decided to leave th eabove sample as purely a printed sample as the lines were so clearly formed. the background texture works really well and I didn’t want to lose it by embroidering into it.
The sample above did not work as well as I would have liked, the background is too dark and the whole sample looks too depressing.
I really like this sample (above) the textures and lines work really well together. If I were to do this one again I would not have added the double line of stitching near the top as it distorts the view of the jug.
This is my favorite sample, using reverse applique methods with sheer fabrics enabled a build up of background. I decided to make this into a larger resolved sample (below). Unfortunately I feel it works better as a smaller sample as enlarging it lost some of the charm and balance between the lines.
All in all I am glad that I followed my tutor’s advice and did this extra research and development work. It has made me try things that I have never tried before and made me think about using more research in my design development in the future. Hopefully it will also help with strengthening my work for assessment.