I chose this sample for its simplicity. The meandering line reminds me of the walk I took through the woods collecting leaves. I love the slightly mottled slow decay of the leaves. If this sample survives the to and fro for assessment I will be mounting it in a frame.
This sample is so simple yet works so well, the black grass worked really well for Stitching I have now planted some in the garden so I will be able to develop this idea on in the future. I would like to try sewing a large number of leaves together like this to create a patchwork.
Another simple idea that just appeals. I would like to create a series of these perhaps using different leaves or a variety of colours either joined together or mounted in a row. Perhaps alternated shades of leaf would work well?
I really enjoyed making this sample. It was a bit of a challenge to sew all the components together. I like the combination of textures and the way the colours work together. I can see this design developing well if scaled up into a panel or hanging with a bit more development.
This sample was fun to make and really reminded me of a corsetry style and heirloom work. I enjoyed using the staples in a creative way so I chose this sample for the technique rather than the final piece. I would really like to experiment more in the future combining staples and other similar items with traditional heirloom work.
I loved the wrapping exercises, this sample in particular reminds me stongly of Judith Scott’s wrapped totems. I really like the way the layers of colours work together to create a lively sample with a life of its own.
I think this sample was my favourite to make. I had difficulty using the moss to start with but once resolved it worked really well. This sort of idea would work really well in a woodland setting and I had great fun photographing it outdoors. It would also work well as part of a larger collection of natural works, another idea for the future!
Of all the wrapped jug exercises these were my favourite outcomes. I love these as a duo. The contrast between the two is very striking and they would work really well as a series charting the progress of a relationship for example.
I have selected this sample as it was a bit challenging to make but fills me with a sense of fun. Weaving in between the teeth before wrapping the rest of the comb provided a variation in texture and pattern and wrapping the wire around at the end added another dimension. I decided to leave the wire reels as another layer and to add more detail.
I got in a lot of trouble with my family and friends for this sample. I have to be honest and say that I really enjoyed wrapping the duck I’m layers of wool. I purposely left the eye and beak showing as it reminded me of Judith Scott’s wrapped dolls. I also like the way the layers of colours and texture work together to make a very unusual if slightly creepy sample.